If you live in a climate where there’s cold and long winters (lucky me) you’ve probably realized that it becomes tricky to eat fresh local produce especially since the majority of it isn’t in season. This doesn’t mean that you have to completely switch to eating only carrots, onions, and potatoes; there are other fruit and veggies that are nutrient-dense and readily available over the winter season. Sometimes it just takes a little investigating and creativity. Here are some foods that you should be consuming this winter! Cabbage, brussel sprouts, squash, potatoes, onions, beets, celeriac, carrots, turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, radicchio, pomegranates, dark leafy greens (kale or collard greens), and fennel.
Here is a delicious salad/slaw recipe that will not have you missing your lettuce!
On another note, I’m so excited and so grateful that my best friend and photographer is back from traveling in Thailand for the past month and a half! In the mean time I’ve been making do with the resources and knowledge that I have, but my recipe shoots just haven’t been the same without her. I definitely appreciate her photography and taste testing expertise! I find once you’re used to doing something a particular way or you have a set of standards it’s difficult to backtrack… Call me a creature of habit or one with high standards and expectations.. I’m proud of myself though for putting my ego aside and lowering my photography standards to do what I could while she was away. I mean, what was I to do? Put my blog on hold for a month and a half?!
Equipment: food processor
Yield: 5 c
- 3 c brussel sprouts (ends removed)
- 1/2 c slivered almonds
- 1/2 c dried cranberries
- 1/4 c grape seed oil
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- pepper to taste
- Dressing: Whisk together the grape seed oil, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, white wine vinegar, and garlic
- Using a food processor, pulse the brussel sprouts until shredded. You may need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your food processor
- In a large serving bowl mix the brussel sprouts, slivered almonds, dried cranberries, and dressing