I hope you all enjoyed your holidays! I know I definitely appreciated having a day off to spend time with family and enjoy good food and memories. People stress and anticipate Christmas for weeks and then when it arrives the day seems to be done in the blink of an eye! One of my favourite Christmas creations was this appetizer, a raw holiday cheese ball. I was so thrilled and impressed with how well this recipe turned out! For the past few years my mom has made a holiday goat cheese log which I used to devour! Since going vegan, I’ve missed all the cheeses served at holiday get togethers. This year I was determined to make a vegan alternative for my mom’s yummy cheese. I put my raw cheese next to the goat cheese and my mom could hardly tell the difference. The taste and texture were so similar! This would make the perfect appetizer for a New Years celebration or any get together!
Yield: 2 cheese balls
- 1 c cashews, soaked
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp pink sea salt
- 1/4 c water
- dash of pepper
Topping (Enough for one cheese ball. Double the quantity for two cheese balls)
- 1/4 c olive oil
- 3 tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- pomegranate seeds, to garnish
- In a food processor combine the cashews, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, pink sea salt, and pepper. Pulse until the cashews are broken into small pieces. Scrape the sides of the processor and add the water. Puree again until smooth.
- Fill two small ramekins with the cashew cheese. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours to harden.
- In the meantime, place the topping ingredients in a small bowl and mix. Refrigerate until ready to serve the cheese.
- Once ready to serve, flip the ramekin upside down and transfer the cheese onto a plate. Pour the toppings onto the cheese ball and sprinkle with pomegranate seeds.
Tip: Using a knife, go along the edges of the ramekin to help the cheese come out