Saturday night is date night with the boyfriend, which means getting creative and eating lots and lots of good food! And vegan cupcakes.. Coincidently, many of our recipes lately have involved sweet potatoes. Because they’re sooo good and super nutritious (visit mexicali sweet potato boat for nutrition facts). After a long work day it’s so nice to have the evening to ourselves, watch a movie, and usually pork out until we’re going to burst (okay okay, until I’m going to burst). It’s so easy though, to get into that lazy veg mode after work and just quickly throw something together to eat. I however like good food. Food that tastes good, food that is colourful, food that I know is nourishing my body and brain, food that my boyfriend compliments me on, and most importantly food that is simple! As a University student, time is of the essence!
For those of you who are looking for ways to switch up your burritos, or maybe looking to veganize/vegetarianize your typical fajitas here is a quick and tasty idea!
- 1 pack of whole wheat tortillas (you can look for gluten-free too)
- 2 small sweet potatoes, skinned and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 lime
- 1 avocado (ripe)
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven at 425
- Mix sliced sweet potatoes, onion, and peppers in a bowl with the olive oil. Spread the veggies on a foil-lined baking tray. Bake for approximately 15-20 minutes
- In a separate bowl mash the avocado and tomato together to make a paste. Use the juice from half of the lime and mix together
- Once the veggies are soft and baked, place them in a bowl with the black beans. Use the juice from the other half of the lime and mix together
- Load your wrap however you like!
Tip: Vegan sour cream tastes yummy too!