I LOVE sweet potatoes! They are especially great at this time of year because they are a fall harvest vegetable, meaning they are in season! Sweet potatoes are very high in vitamin A, vitamin C, beta-carotene, and fibre. They have anti-inflammatory benefits, regulate blood sugar, and contribute to a strong immune system. Personally, I would choose these guys over a baked potato any day! My boyfriend and I tried out these sweet potato boats one Saturday night and they were delicious! We each had a full sweet potato to ourselves and that was enough for a meal. The black beans provide good protein and make it extra filling. They make great leftovers as well!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can of corn
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 c fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, squeezed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- In a bowl, mix the back beans, corn, green onions, and cilantro. Add the olive oil and lime juice into the mixture and stir.
- Bake your sweet potatoes as desired. Can cook in the microwave or in the oven, with skin on or off.
- We washed and peeled all 4 sweet potatoes, and baked on a foil lined pan at 400. Every few minutes we would turn the potatoes to prevent them from burning. After about 15 minutes in the oven, we did the final 15 minutes in the microwave.
- Once the potatoes are soft, cut down the middle and stuff with the black bean mixture.
*A scoop of vegan sour cream on top was delicious! The next day I spread some coconut oil on the inside of my potato before stuffing, talk about an exotic blend of coconut and lime! Yum